15 août 2007

Lessons from physiotherapy

Today was a full day. I hobbled around and delivered 127 papers this morning, went back to bed, watched TV, had a heated discussion on the phone with my boyfriend, went to my first physio session for me knee, did some retail therapy at Sears and found really cheap yet plush washcloths, and decided to treat myself to a movie. I saw Hairspray and LOVED it!!!! It made me want to dance. Reminded me of the way I felt watching musicals when I was a little girl. Oklahoma, Sound of Music....each of those made me wish I knew how to dance and sing simultaneously. :)

Physio was painful today. I had an assessment done (the PT says I've injured two ligaments: LCL and PCL). I had what seemed like shock therapy to my ligaments from an IFT machine, and then the PT did some stretches which hurt like mad! I have some exercises to do twice a day as well. I'll be going back 3 times a week over a couple of weeks. This is all new to me.

The lesson that I was reminded of during my physio session was that pain makes me teachable. When I have pain, I am willing to learn how to fix it, and more importantly, how to avoid it the next time! This applies to so many areas of my life right now: spiritual, physical, even emotional. These heated discussions with my boyfriend aren't my favourite part, and him being turned away from his flight in Chicago yesterday wasn't fun, but in all of this, I am growing and learning how to do things better in the future. I'm willing to look for the reason why he didn't come yesterday. What's the divine reason behind it? Whatever it is, I am more teachable because of the pain in my life, be it great or small.