09 août 2008

New Landscape

I've been in Florida for nearly 2 weeks now, and although not much is new, a lot has happened. How does that make any sense, you ask?
Well, first of all, I have applied to several jobs in a matter of days, and heard nothing. Part of the application process meant that I drove across quite a bit of this county one afternoon in order to visit 4 schools. Other than sweating profusely every time I put my suit jacket back on, I didn't accomplish much or get any real leads. HOWEVER, I discovered a toll road, lost 25 cents when I underestimated the distance between my car and the coin basket, finally figured out where I really am in relation to the rest of the state (driving helps me to figure out where North, South, East and West are), and spent HOURS in a Walmart SupercenteR. Yes, the "r" is in the wrong place. Silly Americans. (hee hee)
I miss home, and my church, and my house and Sobey's and Safeway and Superstore. I think I only really miss the stores because I know where they are and exactly where to find everything I need in them. Although, I must admit that the scrapbooking section in Walmart here could seriously compete with Michael's! It's twice as big as the one in Edmonton's Walmarts.
I miss being able to walk outside without fainting from the heat. It was 99F on Thursday, and apparently felt like 106F (about 41 Celsius). I visited the University of South Florida campus and wilted with every step. I got some questions answered about admissions, and walked across what seemed like a desert. Why was I the only one who seemed to be noticing the heat? I don't think I saw ANY sweat on anyone else's forehead! Incredible!
I've started walking in the morning. I'm up to 45 minutes now. I walk Monday to Friday, and I really think I double the calories burned with the morning sunshine. :) I met a lady in the neighbourhood who wants to start walking with me. Since she leaves for work quite early, we are going to walk about an hour earlier than I have been. Suits me just fine! It will be nice to have the company, and the cooler temperatures will be great. All this just to make sure that I get back into shape in Florida instead of doing what seems to be the popular "move to Florida and pack on the pounds" program.
Chris's church is great. Small congregation, but lovely, warm-hearted people. My first Sabbath, I was privileged to lead song service and I really enjoyed that! Everyone has been really welcoming and friendly, and that will help with the transition.
I should get back to reading. I'm finally reading my own copy of "Blue Like Jazz". Good book so far. Until next time...