01 août 2006

I am...I am superwoman, and I can do anything!

15.79k on Sunday! YES! And it only took me 1 hour and 48 minutes. I was figuring on 2 hours after last week's awful 13k in the heat. The weather was great. I actually felt cold when we started. It was only 11 degrees Celsius. And overcast. GREAT running weather.

We did 3 loops of the ING 10k course. The first 5k were great. Good pace, everything seemed flat. And with all of the gorgeous houses to look at, we weren't really thinking about course management :) (Who cares what's up ahead? Did you see that staircase? And the rooftop patio????) The 2nd loop looked a little steeper when we got to the incline. But we remembered how to make it look "flat", and it actually did. (Think of someone pulling your hair upward and don't slouch into the hill).

When we finished 10k I was surprised. I felt extremely good! Especially in comparison to last week's misery in the River Valley :) I even remember thinking, "5 more kilometres? Piece of cake!". I think the 12th km was the hardest for me. I started to wonder if I'd make it safely past the 13k mark. But only briefly. Once we got past 13, I felt like I was sailing! I thought a lot about my form and my breathing, and it helped tremendously! My legs didn't feel as tired and my lungs certainly weren't overworking for once.

Somewhere along the way we cut out a street or two on our route, so when the group finished, we had completed 14k. I was determined to get to 15, because I had told myself that if I felt good at 15, then I would sign up for a 10-mile (16k) race at the end of August. And I wasn't content to stop at 14k and speculate. :) Safe arrival at 15k meant I would only have to conquer 1 more km and I could live with that thought. 2k sounded too far off!

So I left my group and said "I want one more". My instructor tried to reel me in, but I took off anyway. And I felt great! I was able to hold my pace (6:30/km) and I even went further than I had expected, including the walk back to my group. In all, I conquered 15.79k and I feel TERRIFIC!

My shinsplints didn't come back...that recovery Saturday night helped enormously. The only tightness I feel is in my calves and my hamstrings. And that will go away. I've been stretching non-stop. I'm not sure that wearing 3.5 inch heels to the wedding Sunday afternoon helped much, but oh well!

I did nearly 3/4 of a half-marathon on Sunday! Yippee! I'm thrilled!

1 Comments:

Blogger Di said...

did i ever tell you that you're my hero ? ... apart from sounding a bit cheesy for quoting from a song, i really do mean that.

you've pushed yourself and given yourself goals, and i'm proud of you for reaching them !!

next is your 10-mile, and i'll be cheering you on every step of the way (cyberly, of course). good luck !!!

12:12 p.m.  

Publier un commentaire

<< Home